Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Day Two: the hidden Sprite and other surprises.


So the vegan/raw generally 'heathy' kick is surprisingly harder than I anticipated. Or at least for certain things. 

Dairy has been near to impossible to give up - perhaps it didn't help that I had splurged in several price raw milk cheeses from Whole Foods (yup, Whole Paycheck) the weekend before starting this. Perhaps also because my stomach curdles at the thought of black coffee. And perhaps because as a good Turkish-American, not being able to eat yogurt makes my ancestors roll around in their grave. 

Morning latte machiatto with Lavazza Espresso. Without which I am catatonic.



However other things have been very, very easy - cutting out meat, butter, sugar, refined flour, processed foods and bad fats a breeze. I think it helps that I am still enjoying a glass of good wine (just jacked up grape juice really) as I please. And that my diet is already pretty typically Mediterranean, which means it is pretty healthy on its own. 


Late lunch with the very Turkish combo of  tomatoes and cucumbers drizzled with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Corn Tortilla chips, hummus mixed up with some pico de gallo (surprisingly good). 


and a far less healthy light dinner of fried beets - golden and red and lovely Rose from my friends at Vellum


Okay, so I also had the fries. But they were hand cut. And I'm sure the potatoes were local, organic, etc., in the back you see Sonya's amazing pea soup (she got a vegetarian version)

So overall, I do feel better, have more energy, etc., etc. I don't feel hungry (though let's be honest, even skinny Ebru never did) (call it an embrace of gourmandise lifestyle). And there are a few changes that I want to incorporate on more permanent basis.