Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thanksgiving, dinner parties and the return of my inner 1950s housewife

The past week has been wonderfully busy. Every day involved cooking in some capacity, and Thanksgiving was an exceptionally fun dinner where the Turkey turned out moist (secret to come in a later post), the libations flowed (due in no small part, ahem, to my generous shopping and servings), and everyone in my small family relaxed around the table. Every family has its tensions, weak spots that tend to give way when we all get together but given that this is the only holiday I'll spend at home this year, I'm so glad we were all able to relax into the meal, enjoying each other’s company without the baggage of having to pretend to.


The week also brought out my inner 1950s housewife - while she doesn’t come out very often, she is there, and likes to cook. And bake. A lot. So while there is a lot to share, for the moment, we are both just still exhausted especially given that I had two deadlines for Tuesday and have been surviving on coffee and minimal sleep.


However, I read this lovely article in the Times about neighbors and cooking, and thought I would share this. Sadly in our current community our neighbors, while lovely, all do tend to keep to themselves. So while we all use our back decks for grilling, we very rarely tend to do it together, much less organize elaborate ‘cook-offs.’ Perhaps it is for the best, though given the diversity of our court (Chinese, Bangladeshi, Danish, Latvian, and of course Turkish that I know of) I could imagine it would make for a very enlightening culinary evening. Perhaps something to mull over. In the mean time, here is the article:


Neighborly Stuffed Cabbage” to be published in the print edition of the paper on December 3.


A la prochaine!