Monday, April 20, 2009

Thoughts on drink 1 of ?


Baachus


My old friend! Your gut protuberant

your horns

palely carved, your tongue claret-sticky - 

how good it is to see you! Take

the weight off your rump. 

I think we’ve listened to this plopping

music before, 

have we not? This lucid gluggling?

Tall-stemmed glasses catching fire from light? 


So who’ll drink first? You or me? 

How specific our taste is - for just this raisin, 

just this weedy fragrance, the tannic

beatitudes of wine!

Do we abjure the proletariat of corn and hops? 

We do!

Wine is how words taste, fermented in darkness,

releasing tongues from cobwebs that restrained them. 


Old friend, I can see by the look on your face

you’ve

something to tell me. Good or bad? Speak!


Extract from ‘Cafe des Artistes” by John Hartley Williams (Cape Poetry)

Published in the Financial Times, April 18 / April 19 2009