Monday, May 25, 2009

Transitions - new beginnings and first meals

The past few weeks have found me on the road, in the middle of a move, and finally, somewhat settled. Along the way has been many memorable meals (sadly fewer cooked than planned but posts to come), a few unexpected twists and turns, and a torrent of emotions far too personal (and probably banal) to share. 

Today was my first day alone in my new digs and c'etait pas mal du tout. There is nothing quite like looking around and thinking this is my place where I'm going to live by myself for a while. Yes, me, me, me, but it has been awhile since I've lived alone, and I like it. A lot. 

My parents were kind enough to help me move, treat me to lovely Lebanese mezes at Neyla's (where we spotted DHS Secretary Napolitano and her extensive security detail), brunch at le Pain Quotidien, as well as help me stock my fridge from the Dupont market and Trader Joes. 

Our first dinner in last night was a simple affair, a little homemade fresh salsa/pico de gallo (this time with fresh garlic bulbs and greens and amazing organic cilantro), crabcakes (bought from the crabcake guy at the market), a little ribeye and a large green salad. Not many recipes to share but a great night.



Tonight was my first night hosting, and I had two lovely ladies to entertain. I made some marinated olives  and toasted nuts (recipes below), cracked open some Oberon, and put on Elvis. We had a little girly dance party (much to the great amusement of my neighbors, I'm sure) and Miriam and I will get to spend tomorrow morning together while Liv is at work and the movers are packing them out.


Marinated Green Olives: 

Empty a package of Middle Eastern Green olives in a large bowl, including any juice it is packed in. Add the juice of one lime and one lemon, and cut up 1/2 a lime into small wedges and add to mixture. Chop up some fresh basil and oregeno, and add to mixture. Add kosher salt, red pepper, and dried mint to taste. Add a healthy dash of olive oil, stir, and let marinate at room temperature for at least one hour. 


Roasted mixed nuts: 

Heat a large non-stick pan until it is hot and add your choice of mixed nuts. I added pistachios, almonds, and peanuts. Add kosher salt, red pepper and dried mint and cook while shaking the pan until the nuts are fully roasted and the flavor evenly coated. 




Voila viola. For those of you in town, a tres bientot. For those of you near by, bienvenue!